All of these lines across my face - tell you the story of who I am - so many stories of where I've been - and how I got to where I am - but these stories don't mean anything - when you've got no one to tell them to - it's true - I was made for you. B. Carlile

Monday, May 16, 2011

Future Generations

"One must conquer, achieve, get to the top; one must know the end to be convinced that one can win the end - to know there's no dream that mustn't be dared." M. Jenkins

So my 11th and 12th graders comes on friday morning all keyed up.  It seems that their first two teachers of the day decided to allow them to discuss/debate during the hour long blocks.  Before even getting to my classroom/trailer, I was being pummelled with requests to allow the same.  Basically, I had no choice.  Their minds were made up and I let it ride.  I told them that with this freedom came responsibility; and that they controlled my trust and their fate of it continuing. 

The topic started out as God and stuck pretty close to spiritual/religious tones.  The following are quotes.  They are not in perfect order.  There were a couple of conversations going on at once and a lot of talking over one another.

A few thoughts:  these students seemed very dogmatic at times, surprisingly transparent around their peer whom they barely knew, and hell bent on getting their point across. 

"Please.  A supernova created the earth."

"The Bible is the book of life." as student's foot tapped violently under his desk

"Well my school says the earth was created by the big bang.  And I am a student, so i should believe my text book."

"I have my faith and they have their faith."

"God can."

"3 words: G O D."

*by the way I love it when a 10th grader uses the word "sublime" seriously.

"Jesus raised people from the freaking dead."

"When I got in a car wreck I almost died.  Doctors were working on me.  God was not working on me."

" I mean, I haven't read the complete Bible but..."

"I will give you one thing...all the people that have a near death experience see a light at the end of the tunnel."

"God could have tooken the breath out of you, giiirrrlll."

"It's just the American way."  (said with stoner tone)

"I made my own religion.  Its called MEOWism.  Think about it.  Cats created the earth and rule over humans.  If you have cats you know that they control the household.  It makes sense."  *i told her that i would sign up if she promised me 9 lives*

said while pounding fist on desk  "I believe in reincarnation.  You come back as a person or an animal.  If you are bad you come back as a cockroach or something."

"Jesus drank wine all the time.  He even turned water into wine.  He just didn't get drunk."

"Girl, you are going to hell, girl."

"You so country."

"I don't want to spend all of this life worshipping God if I gotta do it for all eternity."

said as a warning  "Man, if you are luke warm God will spit you out."

"Oh don't even get me on the gay subject."

"The problem with males is that they don't know how we think."

"So can scientists explain love?  NO!! Only the Bible can."

"Dude we are only answering questions with other questions."

"I have no problem being your friend, but...."

"Gayness is in your brain and your hormones.  Its how your brain is setup."

said sarcastically with hands raised  "maybe something will happen in my future life that will make me praise the Lord."

"Oh my gosh, I get a new car when i graduate."

*the word "like" was used over 2000 times and the phrase "i mean" over 1000*

"I'm just going from my head right now but i think this is scientifically correct..."

"Being an atheist and believing in atheism are not the same thing."

"I understand.  But you need to go inside yourself and find your own religion."

Well that's what I could copy down.  You can insert some Bible verses in as you like for the angry youth grouper that was sweating 10 minutes into this debate/discussion.

4 comments:

  1. "I made my own religion. Its called MEOWism. Think about it. Cats created the earth and rule over humans. If you have cats you know that they control the household. It makes sense."

    Was this on an episode of "The Office" that I missed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. I think you have a book lined up...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is all the fault of MTV's [i]The Real World.[/i] Before that, everybody loved Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And thanks for not enabling html tags, so now my post looks dumb.

    ReplyDelete