All of these lines across my face - tell you the story of who I am - so many stories of where I've been - and how I got to where I am - but these stories don't mean anything - when you've got no one to tell them to - it's true - I was made for you. B. Carlile

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Corn Bread Lessons

“The North thinks it know how to make corn bread, but this is a gross superstition. Perhaps no bread in the world is quite as good as Southern corn bread, and perhaps no bread in the world is quite as bad as the Northern imitation of it.”
Mark Twain
(Samuel Langhorne Clemens) (1835-1910)
From an autobiographical sketch, 1898
 
First, you start with J.T. Pollard corn meal.
Extra fine
From Hartford, Alabama.
Then, you add water. You know, just the right amount.
Does my Gran, measure?
Nope, just wait until the texture is just right.
Then it's ready to pop in the black skillet in the oven,
until it is done.
Does my Gran, time it?
Nope.
 
I loved my first corn bread lesson.
My mom bought me a 5 lb bag of meal, and
we packed it in my suitcase.
I haven't attempted it on my own yet.
I'm quite sure it will take "several" tries before I get anywhere close to
my Gran's perfected corn bread!!
 


We made lace bread as well.
 
 
Then it was time to eat and enjoy each other.


Bryson tying all Da's ties.
Pretty good!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment